Try this tasty twist on a classic Italian recipe of baked eggs with creamy nutmeg spinach. Eggs are full of protein and the healthy leafy green spinach counts towards 1 of your 5 a day and is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids.
A delicious recipe from Waitrose, perfect as a light supper or for a weekend brunch with friends.
- 250g pack essential Waitrose spinach
- 25g butter
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 150ml semi-skimmed milk
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- 4 Waitrose Free Range Columbian Blacktail Medium Eggs
- 2 tbsp Waitrose Half Fat Crème Fraîche
- Grated vegetarian Cheddar, to serve (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Cook the spinach in boiling water for 1 minute, drain and refresh under cold water. Squeeze out all the water with your hands and chop finely. Heat the butter in a small pan, add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Off the heat, stir in the milk a little at a time, then bring to the boil and stir until thick and smooth.
2. Stir the chopped spinach into the sauce and add nutmeg and seasoning. Spoon into the base of 2 large ramekins (250ml ramekins or larger) or shallow gratin dishes. Make shallow wells in the spinach, then break 2 eggs into each. Spoon over the crème fraîche and scatter with the grated Cheddar if using.
3. Place in a roasting tin filled with hot water and bake in the oven for 12–15 minutes until the eggs are set. Serve with crusty bread.
Add cubes of quickly cooked pancetta or chorizo to the spinach for a meaty version of this dish
*Waitrose recommends a light chardonnay to compliment this dish, the creaminess suits a Chardonnay, but the nutmeg lends itself to something that’s refreshing, but not too dry.
Find out more at www.waitrose.com
For more free range egg recipe ideas from our celebrity patrons and supporters take a look at our BHWT Blog.