For the chocolate sauce:
100ml essential Waitrose Double Cream
1 Cooks’ Ingredients Chipotle Chilli, roughly chopped
200g Divine Fairtrade 70% Dark Chocolate
For the pancakes:
150g essential Waitrose Plain Flour
Pinch of table salt
25g golden caster sugar
4 essential Waitrose Free Range Eggs
100ml whole milk
40g essential Waitrose Dairy Butter
4 tbsp rapeseed or sunflower oil
Duchy Originals from Waitrose Organic Vanilla Ice Cream, to serve
- To make the sauce, gently warm the cream and chilli in a pan then leave to infuse for 10 minutes. Break the chocolate into a bowl and place on top of a pan of simmering water, making sure the base doesn’t touch the water, and allow to melt slowly while stirring.
- Strain the warmed cream into the melted chocolate and stir. Discard the chilli. Keep the sauce warm while you make the pancakes.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the salt and half the sugar. In a separate dish, crack 2 eggs into the milk. Separate the remaining 2 eggs and add the yolks to the milk.
- Add the buttermilk to the milk and eggs and whisk together. Slowly pour into the flour, whisking gently but being careful not to overmix.
- In a separate bowl, add the remaining sugar to the egg whites, whisk until light and fluffy then fold into the batter mixture in 2 stages.
- Heat a little butter and oil in a non-stick pan. Depending on the size of your pan, drop up to 5 large tablespoons of the pancake mix into it and fry each pancake for 40 seconds until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip over and fry for a further 40 seconds, then remove. Repeat in batches with the rest of the batter to make 18-24 pancakes.
- Divide the pancakes between 6 plates and top each with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce. Serve swiftly.