This recipe comes from Yvonne Brunotte who recently held a fabulous Free Range Friday in her home city of Hamburg. She even uses homemade lemon curd in this beautiful looking cake! Our mouths are watering at the thought…
For the batter
175g lightly salted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
175 g self-raising flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
175g caster sugar
Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 medium free range eggs, beaten
2 tbsp milk
175g cream cheese
100g clotted cream
1 flat teaspoon pure vanilla from pod
Dash of lemon juice
100 icing sugar
6 tbsp homemade lemon curd
150g icing sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease and base line two 18cm round sandwich tins. Dust the sides with a little flour, shaking out the excess.
- Beat together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, adding a spoonful of the flour if the mixture starts to separate. Sift the flour into the bowl and gently stir the ingredients together, adding the milk once the mixture is almost combined.
- Turn into the tins and level the surface. Bake for about 25 minutes until just firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Mix ingredients for filling 1. Don’t use all the icing sugar at once, but add a little at a time until it suits your taste. Use just a dash of lemon juice for crispness, the mix should still have a firm yet spreadable texture and not be too runny. Spread one cake with filling, spread the other cake with lemon curd. Sandwich the cakes together and put on to a serving plate.
- Beat the icing sugar with enough of the lemon juice to give a thick consistency that doesn’t quite hold its shape. Spread the icing over the top of the cake and serve. Decorate e.g. with candied lemon peel.
To make the curd, put the very finely grated zest and juice of 4 unwaxed lemons (about 150ml), 125g unsalted butter (cut into pieces), 3 medium free range eggs and 225g fine raw cane sugar sugar into a heatproof bowl. Rest the bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water (or you’ll end up with yummy free-range lemony scrambled eggs). Cook gently, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes or until it coats the back of a spoon. Press curd through a sieve to remove the peel and pour into sterilised jars.