Hidden Eggs Campaign

Let’s face it – we all love a slice of cake from time to time. If not at home with a cuppa in front the TV then it’s an elevenses treat with colleagues at work. But what if you found out the calories weren’t the only downside to your Victoria Sponge?

If you’re one of the 60% of shoppers who makes sure their half a dozen eggs are of the free range kind, you may be disappointed to learn your cakes, quiches and sauces might not be quite so welfare-friendly.

Of the 10.782 billion eggs laid in the UK in 2017, 55% made it onto supermarket shelves, meaning the other 45% (which include both free range and caged eggs) were used either by restaurants or by food manufacturers in the processed foods we buy on a daily basis.

That’s why we’re calling for change.

Sadly some of our favourite household brands still use eggs from hens which are not free range. But if JD Wetherspoon, Hellmann’s and Ben & Jerry’s can successfully commit to free range, everyone can – if they have the will.

It’s down to us as consumers to make informed choices when we go food shopping, and to let these brands know that we expect more from them.

So we’re asking you to help us persuade McVitie’s to go free range with their Jaffa Cakes and Mr Kipling to do the same with his not-so-exceedingly good cake range.

Simply sign our petitions and let these brands know you won’t be buying their products until they make a change.

 

 

 

 

Joining us in our quest is BHWT Ambassador Lucy Gavaghan who ran a successful petition calling on Tesco to stop selling caged eggs. Lucy is as passionate as us about achieving a high welfare, free range future for all laying hens.