Give your hens a Christmas treat with this amazing recipe for homemade Flock Seed Block. Click here to find out how to make your own!
This Christmas, why not treat your hens to a hearty recipe. This Homemade Flock Seed Block recipe will give your hens a warm treat now that the weather is getting colder. It will also keep your hens happy and busy so they won’t be as prone to peck at each other now that the winter is coming and there will be a shortage of bugs and weeds for them to peck!
This easy recipe from Grit is a fun activity to do with the family and has inspired us to encourage you to give it a go! Many of the ingredients mentioned you can find on our shop website or in any local supplier.
NOTE: we must point out that it can only be made from within a vegan kitchen, as it is illegal to feed scraps or any food to your hens from a non-vegan kitchen. For more information please see our page on feeding hens.
All you need:
- 250g mixed corn
- 125g layers mash
- 90g rolled oats
- 65g sunflower seeds
- 20g wheat germ
- 25g wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 eggs
- 170g black treacle
- 108g coconut oil, warmed to be a liquid (120ml)
- Preheat oven to 160 C.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Add the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pat into several small baking dishes so your blocks are approximately five centimetres thick. Three 15 centimetres round cake pans work perfectly. (Optional, use a chopstick to make a hole in each block so you can hang them in the run.)
- Bake for 30 minutes, then cool completely. Run a knife around the inside rim of each pan and turn upside down to remove the block.
- Serve to a flock of very happy hens. Leftovers can be refrigerated or frozen and then defrosted as needed. Serve in small limited amounts as a treat as you don’t want to over indulge your hens, no more than a teaspoon of treats per hen per day being the average suggested.
Don’t forget to tag us in successful Seed Block meals, we’d love to see if your hens love it!