We think all laying hens deserve to enjoy a natural lifestyle whilst they lay tasty eggs for us to eat; including space to roam on green pasture, the chance to enjoy fresh air and sunshine, to scratch for insects and the opportunity to lay an egg in a nest.
Here’s what we do in a nutshell (or you could say eggshell):
- Each year we save over 60,000 hens from slaughter and find them caring pet homes through our network of more than 40 regional pop-up centres so they can enjoy a free-range retirement. Find out how our network of almost 1,000 wonderful volunteers do it by reading ‘A Day in the Life of a Co-ordinator’.
- We educate consumers about the caged eggs hidden in processed foods, like pasta, quiche, cakes and mayonnaise so they can make an informed choice when shopping. Our positive campaign style has been described as pioneering and one of our most successful campaigns was in persuading Hellmann’s to produce a free-range mayonnaise; as a result thousands of hens now enjoy a better life.
- We work with top avian vets to improve pet hen health.
- We collaborate with cross government to improve communications to pet hen keepers.
- We educate young people about the joys of keeping chickens through our schools education programme.
- We actively support our Great British Free-Range Farmers – there are a lot of happy hens free-ranging the UK countryside because of their investment in free-range systems.