We think all laying hens deserve to enjoy natural freedoms whilst they lay tasty eggs for us to eat; that means freedom to roam on green pasture, freedom to enjoy sunshine, freedom to scratch for insects and freedom to lay an egg in a nest.
Here’s what we do in a nutshell (or you could say eggshell):
- Each year we save over 50,000 hens from slaughter and find them caring pet homes through our network of 40 regional pop-up centres so they can enjoy a free range retirement. Find out how our 800+ wonderful volunteers do it by reading ‘A Day in the Life of a Co-ordinator’.
- We educate consumers about the caged eggs hidden in processed foods, like pasta, quiche, cakes and mayonnaise so they can make an informed choice when shopping.
- Our positive campaign style has been described as pioneering and one of our most successful campaigns was in persuading Hellmann’s to produce a free range mayonnaise; as a result thousands of hens now enjoy freedom.
- We take hens at the end of their commercial laying life from farmers around the UK all of whom support our work. Find out more about The Egg Industry and what we think about British Farmers.
- We actively promote our Great British Free Range Farmers – there are a lot of happy hens free ranging the UK countryside because of their investment in free range systems.